Greenprint for Hackney / The Hackney Food Charter’s aims
A thriving local economy
Health and wellbeing for all
- A network of diverse local, independent food shops and enterprises in all the stages of food production provide jobs and livelihoods and make the most of Hackney’s variety of culinary traditions and strengths.
- Healthy, ethical and sustainable food is sourced from local producers and suppliers wherever possible, keeping value within the local economy.
Resilient, close-knit communities
- Everyone is aware of the importance of a nutritious, balanced diet for physical and mental health and has access to healthy, sustainable, affordable food.
- All food workers receive a fair wage, and work under fair, safe conditions
Lifelong learning and skills
- Culinary traditions of all cultures are promoted and celebrated through a variety of projects and public events.
- Local and London wide initiatives help reconnect people with food, to bring communities together and to encourage people to improve their neighbourhoods.
A reduced eco-foot print
- People of all ages have the opportunity to learn about good food - how to grow, buy, prepare, cook, preserve, eat and enjoy it.
- Organisations such as schools, hospitals, caterers and other businesses are inspired and enabled to create a positive, sustainable food culture.
- Our food system minimises resource use and waste, protects the environment through environmentally sustainable farming practices, organic principles, supporting biodiversity and farm animal welfare - and diets are low impact, with meat consumption reduced.
- Ample access to growing space, knowledge and skills for local people of all ages to produce local food.
Menu - Food
Hackney Food Partnership
Map - food and food growing
Website individuals network
Website organisations network