Hackney Food Partnership
The Partnership (HFP) brings together groups and individuals to help create a more healthy and sustainable food system, and to encourage and support action on food issues throughout the borough.
HFP will build on what is going well in Hackney, such as the many local food growing initiatives, and address a wider range of issues such as ethical, healthy and sustainable food procurement, promotion of local shops and markets, development of supportive planning policies, and food poverty. We will also be helping to ensure the borough moves up London Food Link's Good Food for London league table and improves on its poor showing in each of the last four years.
Click here to view the Hackney Food Charter, a summary of the Partnership's aims.
Sign up to receive news and updates from HFP or email Hackney Food Partnership to tell us about your initiative and how you'd like to get involved.
See the events page for the dates and locations of HFP working group meetings. These are open to all and focus on developing the Partnership's strategy and implementing its action plan.
HFP also organises public meetings on specific issues, and to explore new projects or areas of work. Your ideas for public meetings are welcome and HFP are interested in working with others to hold events.
26/06/2017 Today sees the launch of A People’s Food Policy – a ground-breaking manifesto outlining a people’s vision of food and farming in England that is supported by over 80 food and farming organisations.
20/06/2017 The Community Business Bright Ideas Fund aims to give your community group the support and tools to start setting up your community business.
- 31/05/2017 The food industry highlights how food policy issues are almost invisible in UK election manifestos and debates
- 30/05/2017 Food for Life and the Carbon Trust have launched a Green Kitchen Standard, an award to recognise caterers that sustainably manage energy, water and waste in their operations and demonstrate a commitment to good environmental management.
- 25/05/2017 The Food Issues Census 2017 provides an overview of the work of civil society organisations working on food and farming in the UK. Visit the website to explore the results
- 22/05/2017 Made In Hackney's vegan, recycled kitchen is available for hire to workshop leaders and small scale food producers - and your fee will help keep them delivering their cooking classes.
- 22/05/2017 Jamie Oliver Food Foundation and Sustain announced the launch of the Sugar Smart website - to be a central hub for groups and campaigns wanting to reduce sugar consumption in their communities.
- 19/05/2017 See Sarah Bentley talk on TED about Why The World Needs Community Kitchens and Made In Hackney's 'unapologetically progressive' food policy using local, seasonal, organic, 100% plant based food
- 01/05/2017 Help London Food Link electrify the 'Eel - see here for details and help them raise £5,000
- 30/04/2017 House of Commons Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee published it's Eighth Report of Session 2016–17 on Food waste in England, initiatives to tackle waste and its recommendations.
- 09/03/2017 Annual report on UK household purchases of food and drink
- 01/02/2017 Interesting article by Professor Martin Caraher on Why giving surplus food to charities is not a solution to food poverty
- 15/11/2016 Hackney rated just better than average of the London boroughs in the 2016 Good Food for London report, with an overall score of 48%
- 21/09/2016 The third annual Urban Food Awards included a Roots to Work award for Growing Communities' Dagenham Farm.
- 19/09/2016 sustain has published London Grows Wild: A guide to wildlife-friendly food growing
19/04/2016 Pesticide Free Hackney campaigners urge council to stop using ‘toxic chemicals’ such as glyphosate.
- 18/03/2016 The Capital of Food report highlights the work that’s been done to improve food in London by the London Food Board, its partners and the Mayor of London’s food team.
- 10/12/2015 Paper published on Designing healthier catering interventions for takeaways in deprived areas
05/11/2015 Food in schools and the teaching of food, a report by the All-Party Parliamentary Group on a Fit and Healthy Childhood, explores the role of schools in addressing obesity and promoting good nutritional practice and provides a comprehensive set of recommendations.
- 21/10/2015 In 'Beyond the Food Bank: London Food Poverty Profile 2015' London Food Link looks at what local authorities are doing to help the most vulnerable access good food.
- 08/12/2014 APPG Inquiry into Hunger and Food Poverty in Britain launches it's final report
28/11/2014 UK food waste – Historical changes and how amounts might be influenced in the future
- 27/11/2014 Child Poverty Action Group report on understanding and reducing the use of food banks in the UK
- 14/07/2014 A new discussion document highlights the overwhelming evidence for major changes to national food and farming policy: Square Meal: Why we need a new recipe for farming, wildlife, food and public health.
- 09/06/2014 Below the Breadline: The relentless rise of food poverty in Britain
- 19/05/2014 Edible estates - a practical guide published, to support food growing initiatives on land owned by social housing providers
24/04/2014 Sustain have published a useful guide to using planning policy to meet strategic objectives through community food growing
- 25/02/2014 Hackney’s Five Points Brewing Company has become the first UK brewery to become an accredited Living Wage Employer. The independent craft brewery also runs an apprenticeship scheme for 18-24 year olds, gets its energy from 100% renewable sources and are committed to assisting local charities and community projects. Three cheers for Five Points!
- 20/02/2014 Government report on food poverty is finally published, showing a growing demand for help to meet food needs
- A Steak in the Economy - Kitchenette's report 'Why food entrepreneurship is so important to the economy - and how best to support it' includes information on jobs Hackney Council has helped create in the food industry and quotes the council's view that 'food is a cornerstone of our strategy for regeneration in Hackney'.
- Vision 2020 report sets out a UK roadmap for achieving zero food waste to landﬁll by 2020
- 12/07/2013 The School Food Plan is launched today, with aims of increasing the the role of food in school life and helping all schools to develop develop a strong food culture. It also hopes to help divert some of the £1bn parents spend on packed lunches back into schools. See the press release here but note academies are not covered by local authority regulation so parents, staff and local communities need to encourage their uptake of good practice.
- 11/07/2013 Sustain has published a Guide to Good Food - Providing advice on what you can do, and ask others to do, to help make our food and farming system fit for the future
- Hackney Homes encourage estate residents to grow their own food
- 30/09/2012 Better Breakfast Guide launched – to help businesses serve more sustainable fare
- 25/09/2012 What if I told you: you eat 3.496 litres of water? See this infographic about hidden/virtual water in our lives – food, washing, living etc.
- 22/08/2012 A government publication, Space for food growing: Guide, highlights the health and environmental benefits that community food growing can bring and encourages people to 'spot a plot'.
Hackney Food Map
(See also the Food and Food Growing homepage)
Bags of Taste
The Castle Garden and Cafe
Dalston Eastern Curve Garden
East London Food Access
Edible Forest Garden
Edible Landscapes London
Hackney Allotment Society
Hackney City Farm
Hackney Tree Nursery and Forest Garden
Hackney Hop Growers
Hackney Wick Food Assembly
Haggerston Food Assembly
Made In Hackney
The People's Kitchen
Robin Hood Garden
St Mary's Secret Garden
Capital Growth - London's food growing network
Children's Food Trust
Community Food Growers Network
Eat the seasons
Food Climate Research Network
Food Ethics Council
Food for Life Partnership
Food Research Collaboration
Food Systems Academy
London Orchard Project
London Permaculture Network
Marine Stewardship Council
Real Bread Campaign
Sustain: The alliance for better food and farming
Sustainable Food Cities
Sustainable Restaurant Association
This is Rubbish
Tristram Stuart on food waste
Urban Orchard Project
Zero Carbon Food
10 Principles to guide the transition to Sustainable Food Systems
A guide to Olla pots
Building Local Food Systems: a Handbook
City and Hackney health and wellbeing profile (joint strategic needs assessment)
Collaboration between community food enterprise and the private sector & Case Studies
Community orchards: How to guide
CPRE local foods publications
Edible Geography and Food: An Atlas
Food entrepreneurship's role in the economy
Food Issues Census 2017
Food waste facts from Feedback
Food waste infographic
GLA report on child hunger and food poverty
Good food for London - London Food Link
Growing Communities Patchwork Farms
Hackney Food Charter
Healthier Catering Commitment
Household Food and Drink Waste Resource Listing (from WRAP)
Infographic on food waste
Is eating local good for the climate? Thinking beyond food miles
London National Park City campaign
Map of London’s breweries
Map of London food hygiene ratings
School Food Plan
SOAS Food Studies Centre
Sustainable seafood guide
Sustain's Jellied Eel magazine
UK Food Statistics Pocketbook 2016