Energy and Climate Change
The new report from the Committee on Climate Change on local government on ‘How local authorities can reduce emissions and manage climate risks’ is now out (17 May 2012) and a must read (at least at summary level) for anyone engaging with their local council.
This report emphasises the crucial role councils have in helping the UK meet its carbon targets and preparing for the impacts of climate change. It outlines specific opportunities for reducing emissions and highlights good practice examples from a number of local authorities. See: http://www.theccc.org.uk/reports/local-authorities
- 15/03/18 More than 71,000 hectares of protected countryside in the south-east face risk of oil drilling
- 11/11/15 Take action on the climate now! Come to our Climate Green Drinks on Thursday 12th Nov
- 01/11/15 Hackney Divestment Debate - should Hackney ditch dirty investments?
- 23/11/15 Join Hackney at the London climate demo on 29th November. And please sign the petition to all world leaders at the UN Climate Change negotiations. The Guardian have produced a data interactive on what countries are offering to the talks and how it measures up against what's needed. And poet laureate Carol Ann Duffy has curated 20 poems on climate change
- 14/10/15 Come along to the next Sustainable Hackney climate meeting
- 15/03/15 The government has published its fuel poverty strategy for England, Cutting the cost of keeping warm
- 02/03/15 Press release: Hackney on the march!
- 12/02/15 Join us for an evening of film, discussion and planning for March's climate march
- 01/02/15 Global Carbon Calculator launched - to help people understand the link between our lifestyles, the energy we use, and the consequences for our climate.
- 28/11/14 Green Investment Bank offers 30-year LED streetlighting loans
- 18/11/14 A good article in The Gurdian on District heating: a hot idea whose time has come
- 26/09/14 Neighbouring Islington Council plans to launch its own energy company, to sell gas and electricity more cheaply to residents - and perhaps people in Hackney.
- 19/09/14 Smart Homes provides grant incentives of up to £6,000 to help you make improvements to your home so that it is more energy efficient.
- 18/09/14 Citizens Advice want your help for their campaign to secure a better deal for prepayment meter consumers
- 17/09/14 The National Housing Federation published a briefing on the latest information on Government policies and funding streams to help housing associations plan, fund and implement energy efficiency improvements and to install renewable energy to their existing stock.
- 13-28/09/14 is Community Energy Fortnight - see what Hackney Energy are doing to celebrate, at Homerton Grove Adventure Playground
- 04/09/13 SHINE is a referral system established to tackle fuel poverty and reduce seasonal deaths and hospital admissions in Hackney. One referral to SHINE leads to an assessment for a wide range of services. Make a referral for assessment by SHINE.
- 03/09/14 Instead of data, scientists share their feelings on climate change
- 08/14 Where does the UK's electricity come from? See Good Energy's infographic and Why electricity miles matter and here's how they worked it out.
- 07/14 IPPR report published on City Energy, A New Powerhouse for Britain - argues that Britain’s cities could transform efforts to create a cleaner, smarter and more affordable energy system, provide an alternative to the big utilities, and boost their local economies in the process.
- 07/07/14 £1million energy advice programme opens for business - Organisations including community energy groups, charities, faith groups and registered social landlords are invited to bid for funding to help run projects that run this autumn and winter.
- 06/14 An Energy Bill Revolution briefing highlights the decline in the number of energy efficiency measures installed since the Government’s ECO and the Green Deal replaced other programmes. It also looks at the immediate outlook and what needs to happen longer term.
- 09/04/14 The Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) has been launched today. Get help with solar thermal panels and other technologies.
- 04/04/14 DECC Press release - The UK’s rooftops to become power stations
- 26/03/14 Free community energy training for 18-29 year olds - Register your interest by 11 April (you'll need to attend seminars in Bristol)
- 28/01/14 41% cut in DEFRA climate change initiatives
- 27/01/14 DCLG has published Britain’s first Community Energy Strategy. See highlights in the press release here
- 15/01/14 Hackney Council declares its support for Hackney Energy
- 07/11/13 The UK’s first solar powered luxury, mixed use public toilets unveiled on Brooksby’s Walk
- 19/09/13 Want to get involved in creating a cooperatively owned renewable energy project in Hackney?
- 16/07/13 Zero Carbon Britain launch their third report, Rethinking the Future
- 12/06/13 DECC aims to publish a Community Energy Strategy in Autumn 2013, after consultation that's now underway.
- 06/05/13 Latest government support for energy-saving measures in your home
- 15/03/13 Inspiration For The Nation: Superhomes Week 16 – 24 March. SuperHomes are homes which have been refurbished to reduce carbon emissions by at least 60% and one of the few London SuperHomes on show during the week is in Henry Road, Hackney - a Victorian 3-storey semi-detached.
- 12/03/13 Energy Bill: Meg Hillier MP commits to clean and affordable energy
- 24/02/12 Find out how the Energy Bill is stitching us into an expensive high-carbon future in the Committee on Climate Change report on energy and prices and Alan Simpson's article The Great Energy Stitch Up
- 04/02/13 Jeanette Arnold, London Assembly Member for North East London, writes on Fuel poverty
- 12/11/12 UK Energy efficiency strategy and a Guide to financing energy efficiency in the public sector published
- 17/10/12 Going local - A report on local authorities’ work to tackle fuel poverty - this report has just been published for Consumer Focus but, alas, Hackney isn't mentioned
- 04/10/12 Eco renovation of an older house
- 03/10/12 A new way to measure fuel poverty in England is proposed - have your say
- 24/07/12 Actions to improve insulation on Hackney's estates
- 18/07/12 Off grid in a tower block (John Cowdrill's blog)
- 03/07/12 Top tips for reducing environmental impact
- 15/06/12 New guidance on planning rules for renewable energy and energy efficiency measures in Hackney
- 24/05/12 21p solar tariff extended!
- 25/03/12 Calling all Energy Angels
- 24/02/12 EU deadlock on tar sands
15/10/11 Warming up Hackney for the Green Deal
People interested in Energy
Energy - Events
Advice on Setting up a bulk buy scheme for energy efficiency measures and renewables
Carbon Trust's report on delivering successful Low Carbon Behaviour Change
Centre for Sustainable Energy
City and Hackney health and wellbeing profile (joint strategic needs assessment)
Climate Change: Evidence & Causes
Climate Change – 10 key findings from the climate scientists
Climate Just web tool
Committee on Climate Change (CCC)
Community Energy in the UK: A review of the evidence
Community Energy Strategy for the UK
Delivering and Funding Housing Retrofit: A Review of Community Models (Arup Report)
Domestic energy fact file and housing surveys, form DECC
Do the math - divesting from fossil fuels
Energy Bill Revolution campaign
Energy-management resources from Vilnis Vesma
Guide to community investment in renewables
Green Deal guide - energy saving for your home or business
Greenpeace Climate Roundup
Hackney Climate Change Strategy - 2009
Hackney Energy Advice Line
Haringey Carbon Commission Report - A Sustainable New Economy
In from the cold? Tackling fuel poverty in London
Inefficiency of UK electricity production - graphic
SHINE - Seasonal Health Interventions Network
Smart Homes (energy efficiency) project
SME Guide to Energy Efficiency
Solar PV for schools
Sustainable Energy – without the hot air
UK Energy efficiency strategy
UK National Grid Status
UK Solar PV Strategy
Water source heat map
Why you shouldn't squash loft insulation
YouGen - renewables & energy efficiency information
Transition Towns in Hackney
Association for the Conservation of Energy
Centre for Alternative Technology
Centre for Sustainable Energy
Community Energy Coalition
Energy Saving Trust
Fuel Poverty Action
Global Power Shift
Green Open Homes network
London Fuel Poverty Hub
Low Carbon Communities Network
National Energy Action
UK Tar Sands Network
Zero Carbon Britain